Once upon a time I came across this awesome chicken soft taco recipe from Kroger in a packet of coupons. I put that awesome recipe in my handy dandy recipe app to keep it “safe”. Then, after upgrading my phone I lost all of my recipes. The end.
Sorry… that story didn’t have a happy ending, but I was determined to find at least a similar recipe to the original. I didn’t. BUT… I am piecing together what may end up being even better than the original, so I’ve put it together here for the masses. You’re welcome.
These tacos are delicious and there is no cooking involved. Seriously! No baking, grilling, or crock-potting. Yes, I just made crock-potting a verb. I also use my favorite Copy Cat Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno dip recipe for these tacos. The cilantro slaw portion of this recipe is inspired by One Lovely Life. It is a great mix of sour, sweet, and crunch to top the tacos. If you love the slaw, check out the rest of the recipe for great fish tacos!
Copy Cat Chuy’s Jalapeno Dip
- 1 whole large jalapeno, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 16 oz light sour cream
- 1 oz package of ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 4-6 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3/4 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 Rotisserie chicken, meat separated and shredded
- Corn tortillas (or hard shells if preferred)
- salsa of choice
- avocado, sliced (optional)
Prepare Creamy Jalapeno Dip
- Combine jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro in blender or food processor.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add light sour cream, ranch dressing mix, and lime juice and pulse to combine.
- Add milk and pulse. You can add it slowly to get the consistency you want. The Chuy’s version is pretty thin, so I liked 6 tablespoons.
- Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to combine.
Prepare Cilantro Slaw
- In a medium or large bowl, combine red cabbage, cilantro, lime juice (start with 1 Tbsp), honey, salt, and pepper.
- Taste and add additional lime juice or honey as desired.
- Stir to combine well and set aside until ready to serve. The salt and lime juice will help soften and break down the cabbage.
Add chicken, avocado, slaw, and jalapeno dip to a tortilla or hard shells and serve with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy!